Two great obstacles in the life of a digital marketer are creating effective content and creating it consistently. Adobe Photoshop is no doubt a great software to create best designs for your campaigns but for me, it is not easy to learn adobe Photoshop and honestly I don’t have enough time to learn a software to create designs and here comes Canva, to save our lives. This tool is helping small businesses to get past these two problems.
What is Canva?
Founded in 2012, Canva is an Australian-based graphic design platform that allows you to quickly and effortlessly put together design collateral such as, social media graphics, portfolios, presentations, newsletters, posters, brochures, menus & more! This platform is available on both desktop and mobile and features a large bank of dynamic imagery, hundreds of templates, colors, fonts, illustrations, GIFs, and graphics.
5 Reasons why I choose Canva to grow my business
Below are the 5 main reasons of why Canva is my first choice as a digital marketer and why I am recommending this to others.
1. Simple Drag and Drop
Canva offers drag-and-drop functionality. Combined with search, this feature makes it easy to discover image elements and to include the ones you like.
2. Pre-defined social media sizes
When you decide to create a new image, you can select the proper image sizes pre-defined for the specific social media channel that you are creating the image for. This is a huge timesaver and ensures that I have the appropriate image size every time.
3. Endless Templates
After you select the image size, Canva will present a large number of templates which you can use as a guide to create great images and graphics. I am not a graphic designer by profession, but by using these templates, it allows me to have the appearance of being one.
4. Tons of Images and Fonts to Use
Whether you use a free or paid photo, or even one you upload yourself, Canva provides and easy-to-use photo editor where you can change the look of your image using settings that include filters, tint, brightness, and more. As for fonts, Canva offers hundreds from which to choose. It’s hard to stop playing with all those choices!
5. Collaboration Features
There are so many reasons why I love Canva it was hard to select only five, but the final feature that I find valuable is the built-in collaboration feature to create images. Once you create an image, you can share it with someone and allow them to only view the image or edit the image. While this feature is excellent if you need to share the image with someone across the globe I’ve also found it extremely helpful sharing images with someone across the office.
How To Use Canva?
Below are some steps to use Canva to create a good content.
- Canva is very easy to use! There are a few things you can do before starting your design process that will help you navigate the creation process.
- Consider where the content is living.
- Think of ideas – make it fun, professional, and most important aligned with your or the brand.
- Take a look at the Canva templates to see if you can modify it to something that is aligned with your idea.
- Consider aesthetics: Balance, tone, colours, font, etc.
- Use the blank dimension templates provided by Canva or key in custom dimensions.
- Using the sidebar tools, start building your content piece!
- Once you’ve completed your designs, choose the option to save and export as the proper file type for your needs.
Canva Free or Pro?
My opinion about using a free version of Canva or Pro Version.
If you’re just beginning with Canva, or you’re using it in a non-professional setting or for personal use, the Free account is where it’s at. If you’re in an agency setting or a working marketing professional looking to differentiate your content from others, we recommend Canva Pro. The few differences in the Pro version of the program are the abilities to:
- Take designs you’ve already completed, and change them into new dimensions.
- Upload your specific brand font, or your clients’ font and use them at your disposal!
- Have multiple teams using one Canva account? Organize all collateral, photos, uploads, and completed work with Folders.
- Access to additional imagery, GIFs, illustrations, and many more templates, without paying per image.
What Are You Waiting For?
Canva has been a wonderful resource for me, and I encourage you sign-up today for a free account. As I mentioned earlier, there are more than eight reasons why Canva has become my image creation tool of choice. For me, Canva is like graphic design for dummies, and you won’t be disappointed when you check it out.
If you are currently using Canva, please share your favorite feature in the comments below.